Saturday, May 15, 2010

Homegrown Strawberries


Yep, I grew these little babies myself and, I have to say, I am an absolute fool for strawberries.  Back home in Georgia, I have been known to binge eat strawberries picked from a local farm until I was literally sick.  I just absolutely love fresh picked strawberries.  And who doesn't?  I mean, how could anyone not like them?  It would be wrong.  Maybe even morally wrong....just kidding.

I don't have nearly as much space as I would like for a garden, but I have just enough.  I try to keep something going year-round since most veggies are annuals anyway.  Lettuce is easy, so are tomatoes, and most veggies really.  Strawberries are one of the few things I grow for food that perrenialize.  Of course, since you can't have too many strawberries, God also engineered them to multiply rapidly.  What started out as three strawberry plants has now turned into at least 20 in two seasons. 

I grow everything directly in the ground, including my herbs thanks to a well drained soil (although for proper drainage, herbs would normally do best in raised beds, planter boxes, or even pots).  Anyhow, back to strawberries - they are not only beautiful and tasty, they are also really good for you.  1 cup of strawberries have 140% of your daily value in Vitamin C, antioxidents, and other important nutrients.  I feel especially good knowing the strawberries I grow are organic and have not been sprayed with any nasty chemicals.

If you think you don't have time or room for a backyard garden, then chances are you're missing out.  I know people who only have a back porch and they have potted gardens.  It is incredibly rewarding to grow your own food and it's so easy, a caveman could do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment