Friday, May 14, 2010

Shepherd's Pie - A Simple Delight


This is one of my absolute favorite meals and it is a little counterintuitive because I am one of those guys that likes to not have the items on my plate touching. If I want to eat peas, I want to taste peas. I guess I just like to appreciate each part of a meal without tainting the sides with detracting flavors. I'm sure some of you are just itching to debate that point, but it is hopeless.

Anyhow, one exception to this unwritten rule is when Amber makes Shephard's Pie. This is one of those meals you just know originated from being creative with left-over’s. But hey, so is bread pudding - one of my all time favorite desserts. Anyway, this is a perfect Friday Night meal and if you've never had this dish, it is worth giving a try. The composition is basically ground beef, vegetables, and a thickened stock base mixed together and topped off with mashed potatoes and cheese in a casserole dish. There is a little more to it than that, of course, but that's the basic thrust. It is an incredibly simple and delicious meal. If you like Shephard's Pie, then I would also suggest you also try it's Greek cousin, Moussaka. This dish is a bit more complex and flavorful, but is also more involved. It substitutes lamb for beef and eggplant for potatoes.

My point is, you should look up recipes for Shephard's Pie and give it a try. It is guaranteed to please!

No comments:

Post a Comment