Monday, September 27, 2010

Week 1 & 2 - Preparation for Seal PT


As promised, I am posting my schedule for week 1 and (probably week 2) of training.  For those who didn't read last Monday's post, my goal is to train myself to the same physical standard as the Navy Seal PT.  This is about being in the best shape of my life.  It's about being healthy and feeling energized.  It's about a combination of strength and endurance few ever achieve.  It's an ambitious goal but I can do it.

After visiting several gyms in the area, Amber and I joined a gym that offers heated pools (so weather is no obstacle, cardio, weight training equipment, childcare, etc.  We got the family plan and the monthly fee is a small price to pay for improving and maintaining long term health.  Amber and I have different goals, of course, but we're both excited about it.

My initial training is designed to build myself up for the start of the Seal PT.  Once I'm there I will adopt the pre-designed schedule, which runs 18 weeks.  This is a good approach because Seal recruits that come into the program already have to be in excellent shape, whereas I am not.  So I'm anticipating an additional 6-8 weeks of conditioning to preface the start of the "official" Seal PT schedule.  If it takes less or more time for me to get there, I'm fine with that.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.  That said, I am shooting for no more than 8 weeks to build myself up.

So weeks 1 & 2 of training will look like this:

Running: 1 mile at 8:30 pace (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
Pushups: 4 Sets of 12 with 1 minute of rest between (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
Situps: 4 Sets of 20 with 1 minute of rest between (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
Pullups: 3 Sets of 3 with 30 seconds of rest between (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
Swim continuously 10 minutes (4-5 days per week)

Sounds simple enough (because it is) but it's rigorous and it's just the starting point.  My goal is to be able to do this:

Running: 5 / 6 / 6 / 6 / 4 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa
Pushups: 20 sets of 20 Pushups Mon/Wed/Fri
Situps: 20 sets of 25 Situps Mon/Wed/Fri
Pullups: 5 sets of 12 Pullups Mon/Wed/Fri
Dips: 20 sets of 15 Dips Mon/Wed/Fri
Swimming: Swim continuously for 75 min. 4-5 days/week

Yes, it is humanly possible and I'm going for it.  If you think you're up for it, join right in with me.  It'll be the challenge of your life.  If you're a sissy, you can just check back to watch me document this journey (just kidding about the sissy part - unless your name is Brooks Ward).

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! The gym was great this morning. It was wonderful to work out and get ready without our munchkins under me:) Maddie liked it too- she cried when we left.

    ReplyDelete