Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Man Vs. Water - Week 4


First let me begin by apologizing for not getting my weekly post out as scheduled.  I normally update my progress on Monday evenings but it just didn't happen this week.  Anyhow, as you can easily deduct from the title of this weeks training post, I continue to struggle in the water.  Although it's gradually getting easier, it is my biggest weakness.  I feel like a champ on the treadmill running for 2 miles at a pace of 8:30 per mile.  I jump right into my strength training (4x15 sit-ups, 3x5 pull-ups, and 3x15 push-ups with 30 seconds rest between each set), and then finally I hit the pool. 

First off, as a man, I have to say jumping into the pool at this time of year (right...heated my butt) is something I dread.  Once I do get past...well, you know...I'm OK.  Did I mention that at this point, I'm a little tired since I've not only just done some pretty rigorous exercise beforehand, but I've also been at work all day.  Add to this I'm admittedly not the strongest swimmer in the world and the fact that I sink like a lead brick and you can understand my difficulty.  I'm also frustrated because I've not been able to schedule the swimming lessons I keep talking about.  I know I need them if I want to improve my form, my relaxation, etc. but I just haven't been able to get it in.

All in all I am feeling good.  I am well on my way to being able to jump into the official PT regiment as prescribed by our own Navy Seals.  The pool is my kryptonite right now.  The cardio isn't a struggle anymore and I feel like once I ever conquer the water, I'll be ready to really take my training to the next level.  I am also realizing that I am having to do better about watching what I eat.  If I want to burn calories, I have to reduce the excessive intake of calories.  It's basic math.  If I want to be lean, I have to make decisions about what I feed my body - simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment