Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Small Space Gardening - Spring Lettuce




It's been a minute since I posted anything on gardening....mostly because I'm trying to sell a house back in Alabama, so at present, I don't have a yard to grow things in.  What I do have is patio space and planter boxes, so as a self proclaimed renaissance man, I can will make this work. 

First order of business was to plant some easy to grow (organic) lettuce varieties.  I went with Black Seeded Simpson (Amber likes the frilly light leaf lettuce), Romaine, and Butter Crunch.  These varieties are extremely easy to grow and like all lettuce, they crave water and sun.  I mixed them and planted them tight.  So far so good and in about 30 days, we'll be enjoying home grown salad lightly dressed with homemade dressings.  Yum.

5 comments:

  1. Nice to see this small gardening idea. It is very energetic for me here. I would like to make in it this in my study area.
    dean graziosi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- those are beautiful pictures! And now I am hungry and thinking of eating a salad for breakfast. Everything at my altitude is still a tad frozen, but I want to try out some container gardening this spring. Looking forward to your dressing recipes :) !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys...I've decided not to allow the lack of space to rain on my parade. I'll have more stuff starting soon. I'm planning to grow some determinate organic tomato varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pics look great. May i suggest Spinach. It seems to grow where ever i plant it, takes about 30-40days, and tastes great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Savage, great idea!! I love growning spinach, so I'll have to give it a try in some planter boxes. The taste of fresh picked spinach is night and day.

    ReplyDelete