Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Ultimate Southern Brunch - Meatloaf with Stone Ground Grits


I recently ordered 10 lbs of Bryd Mill Stone Ground Grits (which I highly recommend) and so I decided to take some left-over meatloaf I made to construct an interesting brunch.  In the spirit of giving credit where credit is due, this recipe is loosely inspired by a recipe I saw by Chef Ed Lee. He made an open faced meatloaf sandwich with a fried egg and thick cut of tomato.

The grits are made with a bit of sweet cream butter, heavy cream, parmesan reggiano, kosher salt, pepper, and a dash of sugar.  I also happened to have some baby heirloom tomatoes and asparagus, so I broiled these very simply with a bit of EVOO, sea salt, and white pepper.  To top it all off, a soft poached egg cooked to perfection (about 3-4 minutes).  The only thing that might have improved the whole combo would have been a creamy Hollandaise, but I'm not sure I missed it enough to matter.  Serve with coffee or milk; you won't leave the table hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment