Saturday, April 17, 2010

Catalina 25 Restoration Project Progress Report


Ok, so this is the second straight weekend consumed primarily by boat work.  The weather has been phenominal and so we've been able to turn it into a family affair.  Maddie runs around the yard chasing the dog and playing with a water hose, Elizabeth eats puffs in her swing, Amber works on the inside of the boat, I work on the outside.  We are both completely exhausted right now but a tremendous amount of progress has been made thanks to the concerted team effort.

I am bustin' this job out like none of the other boats I've restored before.  I have to give a lot of credit to Amber for being a huge help with cleaning the interior and assisting with basic things like, "Hey, can you hold this screwdriver on the other side of this bolt?"

So here are a few before pics:


Yah, so I know you think we're crazy.  Anyway, here is what we've managed to accomplish so far:

- Removed about 100lbs of junk and dirt from inside the cabin
- Installed a new 12k lb ss bow eye and added a new backing block
- Cut, painted, and installed all new bulkheads
- Cleaned the interior top to bottom
- Cleaned and oiled all interior teak
- Faired and painted the swing-keel with Interlux ACT Antifouling paint
- Faired and sanded the entire hull back to 220 grit above the waterline and below the rub rail
- Painted the trailer

What it looks like now:


Next Steps:

- Tape off the rail and top of water line (tonight)
- Prep hull for paint.  I plan to spray a 1-Part high gloss poly based oil in white for the hull.  I generally add about 10% paint thinner in weather 60-70 degrees and sometimes as much as 15-20% when it is above 90.
- Tape off the bottom below the water line and paint with anti-fouling about 6 in. down (just to create a clean line since the bottom paint seems to be ok)
- Add a boot stripe in either dark navy, green, or red
- Paint Rudder and kick-up assembly
- Install Rudder and connect to steering cable

I'll post more pics soon, so check back to see how things are going.  At this rate, the boat will be ready to sail and ready to sell in no time.  Anyone interested in a great boat for a great price?

3 comments:

  1. Dear Benjamin
    I (Bill) talked to you yesterday about buying the sailboat and later that night my son (Christopher)talked to you. After I spoke with you yesterday I called my son as he was driving to visit his mother-law and told him about your sailboat and how nice it was restored but I especially mentioned there was something different about you. I even mentioned this to a another friend (a new believer) later in the day when talking to her about the sailboat. Later I found out that you are a believer and I believe what I noticed was the kindered spirit or bond. I received Jesus Christ as my Saviour on a
    (long testimony made short) Friday night in Sept 1975 with my wife receiving Jesus in October of the same year while pregnant with our Son Christopher. I later moved to South Carolina to attend Bob Jones University and Tabernacle Baptist Bible College. My beloved wife of 44 years, Joyce , is with God now and blessed are my memories of her.
    I am so happy to know that our God has brought us to this place in our lives as we journey toward His heavenly city above(Heb 11:10 KJV) For he (Abraham) looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
    I hope all works out for the both of us regarding the sailboat. I am so pleased to have made your acquaintance and hope we can continue in fellowship during our sojourn here.(Heb 11:9 KJV) By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:



    Always in Christ
    A Brother Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,
    How incredible; it truly is a small world. Yes, I spoke to Chris at length last night and we had a great conversation. I hope we can figure out this whole boat and title thing, but nonetheless, I am happy to know you and your family a little better because of it.

    God Bless - Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings,

    Love your blog. I am currently restoring a Catalina 25 1979. I sail whenever possible and work on it once in a while. I would love to see more pictures. I need to rebuild the drawers in the Galley. Do you have photos if the drawers and structure tat they run on?

    Paul
    Paulpit@gfhope.org

    ReplyDelete