Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Red Wine and Lamb - Classico




I have cooked quite a few meals this winter, as my blog will testify to in part.  That said, I must say this particular dish easily makes my top 5.  I love to cook, but I spend a lot more time in the kitchen when it is too cold to either work in the garden or to get on the water with a fly rod. 

So here is how it went down.  Our friend Sarah is staying with us for a while doing an internship to finish up her D.V.M.  Jason, my best friend and Sarah's husband, came up to spend some time on his off days.  I bought a bone in leg of lamb and they brought up a very special treat to pair with the meal - a '99 vintage bottle of Italian Contucci Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva.  This was our first opportunity to try a wine from this region and of a 10+ year vintage.  We gave the wine a chance to open up by pouring through a fountain funnel and into a decanter for about 20-30 minutes.

The lamb was roasted in the oven with a rub of lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper for about two hours until it reached 145 degrees internal.  Then rest the lamb covered for about 20 minutes.  For the sauce, I took an onion, rosemary, chives, and flat parsley and added to the pan drippings on medium-high.  Deglaze the pan with red wine and add a few cups of chicken stock.  Reduce liquid to a sauce consistency and strain.  Add a side of steamed veggies, like asparagus very lightly seasoned, and you have one of the most amazing meals you'll ever put in your mouth.  A real pleaser that will have you going back for seconds.  Did I mention, this meal feeds about 6 people and costs about $5-6 per person?

No comments:

Post a Comment