Friday, July 23, 2010

New Jon Boat Trailer


Check out my new Jon Boat (or Johnboat) trailer!  My pals Todd and Spencer over at SailTrailers.com of Columbus, GA put this one together for me.  Sure, I probably could have picked one up used for cheap, but I'd rather have something I can count on when I'm flying down the interstate.  Anyhow, the trailer looks great and I know it will serve me very well.

On a side note, I know I shouldn't be that excited about it but I'm stoked about having a way to get back out on the water again.  Ideally, I'd like to get into an 18' Hewes Redfisher, but more practically speaking, the 12' Jon Boat I scored recently for free from my parents will have to do as a shallow water fly fishing skiff - at least for now.  After procuring said boat, I set out to applying an impermiable bottom coat that would prevent the possibility of any leaks at the rivets.  Oh, and for those who think rivetted Jon Boats are somehow less sturdy than the newer all welded models, your argument is misplaced.  The advantage in all-welded models is simply this - no holes.  Strength of rivetted models is not an issue.  Think about it, rivets are perhaps one of the strongest ways to fasten thin metal or aluminum.  Ever think about the fact that airplanes we soar in at hundreds of miles per hour use rivets, not welds?  Yep, there's good reason behind that.

Anyhow, just wanted to share because I'll be posting picks of my little boat soon.  I'm planning to trick it out with some cool mods to make it a lean, mean little fly fisher.  Can't wait to get out there and slay 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment