Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mahi Mahi with Sugar Snap Peas


I'm quickly learning that I like being close to the coast even more than I had imagined.  The most obvious benefit for any seafood lover is the ease of finding fresh product in plenty.  Tonight I was able to find a great piece of Mahi Mahi (dolphin fish).  I like this fish for the same reasons almost anyone would, but in addition I like it because of the following characteristics:  it flakes in an way that makes it interesting - even fun - to eat, the taste is mild yet distinctively Mahi, and it can be prepared in versatile ways.  This is a fish served commonly in many restaurants, but it is rarely prepared well, so I don't order it.  I also don't usually buy it.   The most common error in the restaurant is over cooking followed next by over salting.

For this great piece of fresh fish, the preparation must remain simple:

- Fresh Ground White Pepper
- Sea Salt
- Lime Juice

The fish marinates for about 10-20 minutes in lime juice only.  Then dried with a paper towel, then seasoned with salt and pepper.  Heat olive oil and butter 50/50 in a pan then sear the fish until golden brown.  Remove and place on a tray oiled lightly.  Zest lime rind over the top of the fish then place in the oven on broil for about 3-5 minutes until warm in the center (medium rare).  Plate, serve, and eat immediately. 

On the side, I sauteed some sugar snap peas (not to be confused with snow peas) which are absolutely delicious tossed with olive oil, fresh chopped garlic, and sea salt.  These are in fact one of my new favorite veggies.

For wine, pair with a nice crisp Sauvignon Blanc or a Vinho Verde.

No comments:

Post a Comment